Re: [opensuse-packaging] On how to improve Rust packaging experience for suse
On 2019-11-19 17:34, Dany Marcoux wrote:

rustup[0] is what developers should use when developing in Rust. It's the
official Rust toolchain installer.

I guess that your idea is to have a system rust compiler installed via a package, and a user rust compiler installed via rustup?

I see the appealing of this.

I packaged it in my home[1] and submitted
a request[2] in hopes that it would get into Factory, but in the end, I didn't
get much feedback beside from Neal Gompa. I decided to revoke the request. As
you can see in the request, I talked about rust and rustup coexisting, but this
would need a bit more work.

I think that this is critical. PIP is available in openSUSE as a mean to install Python packages, but executing it as root will install a system wide Python package and will break your system. There is some parallelism with rustup here, but as PIP is distributed in openSUSE, rustup can also be.

I didn't look into this, but I'm willing to do it.
It definitely seems to be possible as documented[3] upstream.