Re: [opensuse-packaging] On how to improve Rust packaging experience for suse

On 19 Nov 2019, at 11:19, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/19/19 11:07 AM, William Brown wrote:

On 19 Nov 2019, at 11:04, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 7:32 PM William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, so when you do:

Project -> Repositories -> Add from a distribution -> select fedora 30

That only adds fedora 30 standard:

https://build.opensuse.org/repositories/Fedora:30

But not update. This is why all the f30 builds I have are failing. This
seems like a bug or error to me.

It is done this way to minimize automatic rebuilds by default, as new
updated packages in the repositories will trigger rebuilds. If you
want updates, just change "standard" to "update" and call it gravy.
Most don't require this, but your Rust case probably will.

For what it's worth, openSUSE Leap targets are similarly set up.

This is really counter intuitive to anyone who is reasonably inexperienced
at packaging (IE me), which is probably another barrier to getting people to
do tasks like this. It could be improved both as a default (include updates
because that's the expected behaviour) or via UI (offer updates as an option
in the distribution menu, or make it easier to alter standard -> update in
the respository list).

One reason that it is done like this by default is because core SLE /
Leap packages shouldn't be break API/ABI for updates, so in the vast
majority of cases building against standard is fine and saves huge
amounts of resources on obs. You are only really hitting this issue
because you are working with one of the few echosystems that as you say
doesn't follow our traditional model.

Ecosystems are changing, and less and less are following the traditional model
- I think we can't keep treating them as exceptions, because this will become
the norm for many languages.

So how can we improve this? How can we make rust a first class language for our
platforms so that we can keep including relevant and modern tools in our
platforms?

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs