Re: [opensuse-packaging] On how to improve Rust packaging experience for suse

On 19 Nov 2019, at 11:04, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 7:32 PM William Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, so when you do:

Project -> Repositories -> Add from a distribution -> select fedora 30

That only adds fedora 30 standard:

https://build.opensuse.org/repositories/Fedora:30

But not update. This is why all the f30 builds I have are failing. This
seems like a bug or error to me.

It is done this way to minimize automatic rebuilds by default, as new
updated packages in the repositories will trigger rebuilds. If you
want updates, just change "standard" to "update" and call it gravy.
Most don't require this, but your Rust case probably will.

For what it's worth, openSUSE Leap targets are similarly set up.

This is really counter intuitive to anyone who is reasonably inexperienced at
packaging (IE me), which is probably another barrier to getting people to do
tasks like this. It could be improved both as a default (include updates
because that's the expected behaviour) or via UI (offer updates as an option in
the distribution menu, or make it easier to alter standard -> update in the
respository list).

Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs