Re: [opensuse-packaging] how to make xfce4-screensaver smoothly replace xscreensaver?
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 10:45:48 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

On 6/26/19 4:23 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 10:09:19 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

On 6/26/19 4:07 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:59:33 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

On 6/26/19 3:47 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Hi,

Am 26.06.19 um 09:06 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:02:50 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

On 6/26/19 2:57 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:09:05 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

Hello,
I need to ask for some package transition advise please.

We are going to introduce xfce4-screensaver by default in openSUSE
Xfce replacing xscreensaver.

Swapping the packages in the pattern is the easy part however
because
xscreensaver is not automatically being replaced and both daemons
end
up running at the same time, when suspending the system, both
xfce4-screensaver and xscreensaver lockers are loaded on the screen.

Any advise on how to make the transition happen without using
"Conflicts"?

What's the problem with Conflicts?

It's just not a very elegant way imo and could potentially confuse
some users, more so when this will affect Leap upgrade to the next
version.
If Conflicts is the only way of doing it then ok, but I'm hoping for
better ways.

Well, if both of them actually functionally conflict with each other,
user needs to choose. Usually this can be done either forcing a
single package by rpm Conflicts, or allowing multiple installations
but choosing it via update-alternative (e.g. the display manager
selection).

not an expert for screensavers but "Conflicts" sounds somehow harsh.
I still run systems where different users run different desktop
environments on. (Xfce for me)
Might be that xfce4-screensaver is anyway a better idea than
xscreensaver for those desktops which do not override it anyway
(probably KDE or Gnome?) but just saying that this usecase should be
somehow possible still.

Wolfgang

I am not sure if such conflict would exist outside of Xfce. In Xfce
the manual way of resolving it while keeping both packages installed
is to disable the loading of xscreensaver (or xfce4-screensaver)
daemon from the "Session and Startup" control panel.

I found that /etc/xdg/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop contains
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

so this is specific to XFCE. How about simply changing this with
NotShownIn=XFCE with a proper comment to suggest xfce4-screensaver?

Takashi

Could be a way. But would it also stop the daemon from loading or
simply not show the entry?

That's my understanding, but I might be wrong, you'd better try it out
once ;)

Takashi

Thanks Takashi, I confirm NotShownIn=XFCE disabled the daemon too. I
don't have a multiple DE system handy so I might need someone to check
whether it would affect GNOME, KDE etc.

Perhaps the correct command should be:

NotShownIn=XFCE;GNOME;KDE;MATE;CINNAMON

On the second thought, the simpler workaround is just to remove the
autostart file. It's been only for XFCE (as it has OnlyShowIn=XFCE),
and xfce4-screensaver will be pulled in via pattern, so that'd be
safer than listing all DE's where we might overlook something.

thanks,

Takashi