Re: [opensuse-packaging] how to make xfce4-screensaver smoothly replace xscreensaver?
Hi,

Am 26.06.19 um 09:06 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:02:50 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

On 6/26/19 2:57 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:09:05 +0200,
Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:

Hello,
I need to ask for some package transition advise please.

We are going to introduce xfce4-screensaver by default in openSUSE
Xfce replacing xscreensaver.

Swapping the packages in the pattern is the easy part however because
xscreensaver is not automatically being replaced and both daemons end
up running at the same time, when suspending the system, both
xfce4-screensaver and xscreensaver lockers are loaded on the screen.

Any advise on how to make the transition happen without using "Conflicts"?

What's the problem with Conflicts?

It's just not a very elegant way imo and could potentially confuse
some users, more so when this will affect Leap upgrade to the next
version.
If Conflicts is the only way of doing it then ok, but I'm hoping for
better ways.

Well, if both of them actually functionally conflict with each other,
user needs to choose. Usually this can be done either forcing a
single package by rpm Conflicts, or allowing multiple installations
but choosing it via update-alternative (e.g. the display manager
selection).

not an expert for screensavers but "Conflicts" sounds somehow harsh.
I still run systems where different users run different desktop
environments on. (Xfce for me)
Might be that xfce4-screensaver is anyway a better idea than
xscreensaver for those desktops which do not override it anyway
(probably KDE or Gnome?) but just saying that this usecase should be
somehow possible still.

Wolfgang