Re: [opensuse-packaging] Failed build dependencies with ifnarch
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 16:06:52 -0400
On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 2:47 AM Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

On May 24 09:56 Todd Rme wrote (excerpt):
So what should architecture should we use for a program that runs on
x86, x86_64, ppc64, and ppc64le without modification, but doesn't run
on aarch64? There is no mechanism as far as I know for a
"almostnoarch" package.

In this case, however, the package itself is completely noarch. One
of its testing dependencies, though, although it works on most
architectures, makes assumptions about how binary data is stored that
means it doesn't work on aarch64. But this package has no control
over that.

perhaps I misunderstand something special here but
"doesn't run on aarch64"
versus
"the package itself is completely noarch"
is a contradiction.

I think when a program does not work on all architectures
its package cannot be "noarch".

Again, this package runs just fine on all architectures. However, the
TESTS do not run on all architectures. And even that isn't because of
the tests themselves, but rather one of the dependencies of the tests
has a bug on some architectures.