Re: [opensuse-packaging] Failed build dependencies with ifnarch
  • From: Stefan Brüns <stefan.bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 11:02:38 +0200
On Montag, 27. Mai 2019 08:47:03 CEST Johannes Meixner wrote:
Hello,

On May 24 09:56 Todd Rme wrote (excerpt):
So what should architecture should we use for a program that runs on
x86, x86_64, ppc64, and ppc64le without modification, but doesn't run
on aarch64? There is no mechanism as far as I know for a
"almostnoarch" package.

In this case, however, the package itself is completely noarch. One
of its testing dependencies, though, although it works on most
architectures, makes assumptions about how binary data is stored that
means it doesn't work on aarch64. But this package has no control
over that.

perhaps I misunderstand something special here but
"doesn't run on aarch64"
versus
"the package itself is completely noarch"
is a contradiction.

In general this would be true - but the package may have some dependency which
does not run on aarch64.

I think the package is still noarch - otherwise noarch would depend on the
architecture support status of the distribution.

The fix here is straightforward (though probably nontrivial) - fix the
dependency.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns / Bergstraße 21 / 52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034 mobile: +49 151 50412019