Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packagers - please check your "Url:"s

On Thursday 2019-03-21 20:27, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 3/21/19 8:01 PM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Why, there not "your" packages once they leave your home repo, if
someone feels like going to the effort of making the distro better

...then he can, in the future, do all the work on these packages.

In any other open source project I have worked so far, it's common that
you wait for feedback from the actual maintainer of a package [...]
of code before moving forward with changes. Not in openSUSE as there are
multiple project maintainers which can accept submit requests

.. and requests to add more fine-grained user roles in OBS have gone
unheard in the past.

On the other hand, the absence of a maintainer (especially if
prolonged) should not be able to cause a stall.

For example, I am maintaining the Python Azure SDK for the Public Cloud
Team at SUSE. For the second time now, someone has sent in requests to
update just two out of over 100 packages that make up the Python Azure
SDK. [...]

There are only three maintainers in that project, yourself included,
and they all work for SUSE. If it's impossible to coordinate with the
two other maintainers, I just wonder how we ever managed to survive
the ridiculous amount of 30 listed maintainers with a good mix of
non-SUSE poeple in devel:libraries:c_c++ so far.

I missed the two submit request mails as there are currently dozens of
these mails per day for the devel:languages:python project. I was also quite
busy moving apartments during that week so I could not read mail all the
time, I would have rejected those requests. Now they were accepted by another
d:l:p maintainer and eventually successfully accepted into Factory despite
making the Python Azure SDK uninstallable. I'm also surprised that these
changes
were not blocked by the Factory maintainers despite the fact they introduced
breakage.

Likely because they did not introduce breakage as far as OBS is
concerned - are you sure there is a Azure SDK test job in OpenQA?

I don't know what I can do to prevent this in the future, but I really wish
the communication would work better and people wouldn't just randomly push
submit requests to packages without having at least talked to the maintainer
of the packages in question first. Good communication is a key point when
collaborating in open source projects.

SRs are a form of communication. It might be a somewhat clunky one
due to OBS's implementation (messages and comments are separate
entities for example), but they still have fields for messages,
comments, and a patch, similar to Github PRs or git-send-email'ed
mails.

I really wish maintainers would calm down and not interpret the
presence of a patch fragment (in SRs, GH PRs, or whatever) as an
"uncommunicated attack" on their package and authority, but to
interpret such requests as "this is my idea, and this is how it could
look in program code".