Re: [opensuse-packaging] No Leap repos anymore in devel:languages:python?
  • From: Eric Schirra <ecsos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 15:45:42 +0200
On 2018-08-25 07:59, Simon Lees wrote:
On Friday, 24 August 2018 20:11:04 ACST, Sebastian wrote: ...

No, I mean the packages in devel:languages:python:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/devel:languages:python

From the package description:
Backporting of packages against older distribution releases should not
be happening in this project, only build verification. If a package is
needed on any of the older openSUSE products then maintenance update is
to be created. Alternatively for SLE products submission by an
interested party should be done by openSUSE:Backports project.
If you just need the newest packages, please consider using
devel:languages:python:backports instead.

Why maintenance update?
I only would have a working version in devel.
So it can put in newer Leap version.
Or if somebody would have newest package in Leap.
In my book, before the change, it was simpler, quicker and need many less work
than now.
It was much, much better than now.

As far as I can see all the packages in d:l:p that are also in
tumbleweed should be in devel:languages:python:backports so I guess I
should ask what your trying to achieve.
This is not right.
Only packages which start with python are in backports.
Every other packages (e.g. certbot) must separate insert in the sync script.
I think this is not a good idea.
And you find nobody who do that.
You have infinite discussion. :-(

Other example are python packages which are needed for other packages in other
repos.
Also infinite discussion with no result.
You see no more if this package (e.g. calibre) is build for 42.3, 15.0 and
Tumbleweed.

Regards
Eric