Re: [opensuse-packaging] Splitting up binary packages for large SDKs
On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 06:00:21PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
On 8/7/18 5:39 PM, Michael Matz wrote:
There are cases where we deliver static libs, they are usually historic
cases, or where upstream doesn't provide shared libs (and they can't be
made easily). But no new static libs without Very Good Reasons (tm).

Some people consider security issues with dynamic linking of setuid
executables a good reason to link those statically (or completely avoid
certain shared libs).

I'm no expert on this though.

THis is superstition.

If you static link libraries, we need to release updates for the library
for both the library and the setuid binary ...

Easy to overlook such cases, thats why we strive to keep everything shared only.

Ciao, Marcus