Re: [opensuse-packaging] Splitting up binary packages for large SDKs
Hi,

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

Static libs are not allowed by default.

Why would that be the case?

*) often they are unused (if static and shared libs are installed the link
editor will by default use the shared ones)
*) see last mail: they create problems that shared libs don't have, from a
software distribution perspective

The static libraries are supposed to be used for the user to build
static binaries, not for building any of the packages in the
distribution with static binaries.

The zlib package, for example, does include a static library package:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/devel:libraries:c_c++/zlib/zlib.spec?expand=1

That's one of the historic exceptions I was talking about. It's not a
model for good packaging :-)

See exceptions 4a/4b in the above policy for when also the -devel
packages
need to be versioned (I'd hope it's not supported to install multiple
AWK-SDK version onto the same system).

Multiple versions don't seem supported. But installing the SDK for multiple
platforms.

There is just one platform as far as openSUSE is concerned.

Well, the SDK supports Android so it might be useful to include the
Android version of the AWS SDK in the future as well depending on
whether building AWS applications for Android is a popular feature.

Well, supposedly if the same SDK is installed for multiple targets the
respective (shared or static) libraries aren't installed into the same
directory by the SDKs build system. So just package them into
foo-android-suffix subpacks (for all foo-suffix) I'd say, once the need
for them arises.

Ciao,
Michael.