Re: [opensuse-packaging] Python package tries to download dependencies during build

On 05/07/2018 11:24 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
Not really. If I spend several hours now to make a small dependency
package
perfect under every aspect of the packaging guidelines instead of
continuing
with the packages we actually need for the Public Cloud Team, my
colleagues
won't be particularly happy.

You in turn will shout at the review team doings it job by pointing out
things that are wrong when compared to the packaging guidelines -

I've never done that. I usually always make all the changes requested
by the review team.

making neither you nor the review team happy - and as a direct
consequence your colleagues will also not be happy. What do you gain?

What do I gain when I invest hours in making a small Python package
(I'm not talking about the kernel or any toolchain package) when
this isn't my main task I am being paid for?

Adrian

If a package you use has dependencies that need to be maintained and no
one else is maintaining them then yes it becomes part of your job unless
you can convince someone else / another team to look after them for you.
I have several packages that I need to maintain indirectly because I
have customer packages that depend on them as do many other members of
SUSE's packaging team.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30