Re: [opensuse-packaging] Converting a package to singlespec: two questions

On 12/12/17 06:19, Lee Duncan wrote:

On 12/11/2017 11:00 AM, Sebastian wrote:
On 12/11/2017 07:46 PM, Lee Duncan wrote:
If it is the first: You don't need to singlespec it at all.
Even though this is end-user based I still don't see how i can avoid
singlespec, other than just having two different (conflicting) packages.
Why do you want to singlespec it then at all? I see no reason to do so.

Sebastian

It is not a matter of want, really. I was under the impression this had
to be done.

Certainly, python2 is going away, so I need to (and want to) support
python3.

But some users of this package still done have python3, so I'd like to
keep the python2 package around.

I'm now thinking I want to rename the existing package
"python2-targetcli-fb", name the new package "python3-targetcli-fb", and
create an aliases of "targetcli-fb" and "targetcli" for the new version.
That way, if somebody just does a "zypper in targetcli", they will get
the python 3 version. They can still get the python2 version, but under
the new name of "python2-targetcli-fb" only.

The only part I don't like about this is that I have two duplicate
packages to maintain. But the good news is that the maintainence work
for the python2 version will die out.

I'd also just swap it to building for python3 only and keep the package
name, tumbleweed users are almost guaranteed to have python3 installed,
as will SLE-15 / Leap 15 users unless they have such a minimal system
that they have no python. So there is almost no reason to have a python2
version in Factory/Tumbleweed maybe its worth having a version if SLE-12
users are using a newer version via packagehub, but you could probably
do that via updating the version in Leap 42.3 and submitting to
packagehub from there. For any other usecase you could also just keep a
python 2 version somewhere on obs.

But personally I wouldn't make your main package more complicated just
for the sake of some users who are doing things an unofficial way.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30