Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Poll about Url vs URL in RPM preamble
  • From: Jan Ritzerfeld <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:19:55 +0200
Am Freitag, 11. August 2017, 15:31:29 CEST schrieb Jason Craig:
[...]
I see that the linked style guide (this is a question of style as tag
names are case insensitive) is from Google for Java.

Or Microsoft:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/design-guidelines/
capitalization-conventions
Or Rust:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/1.0.0/style/style/naming/README.html

Since SUSE is not
Google and RPM spec files are not Java, I don't see any reason why this
style guide is applicable.

So, where is the style guide that says otherwise and justifies this change
request? I agree with Marcus and do not see a point in changing one specific
name without having a general naming convention!

Even if the linked guide is used just to say
"what camel case is", there are other people who think acronyms and/or
initialisms can/should be all caps in camel case. In fact this Fedora
document
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package#SPEC_file_overvi
ew has the URL tag name as all uppercase.

I don't think that using all upper acronyms and initialisms is a good idea
since it generates unreadable names like XMLHTTPOSIDRequest.

Is there an OpenSUSE document (a style guide) that says spec file tag
names should be in upper camel case, and further clarifies that upper
camel case means that initialisms and acronyms should be rendered like
"Url"? If so, then so be it, otherwise I think the discussion here is
what should such a document say.

A naming convention should be applied as broadly as possible and not only to
RPM tag names. Using different definitions just because it's another
"language" doesn't make life easier. How many naming conventions should I read
when I create or maintain a package?

Gruß
Jan
--
Unionism has carried the American ideal to its illogical conclusion. Not only
do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed and color, but