Re: [opensuse-packaging] no more nobody user on OBS?
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:16:28 +0200
On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 9:39 Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
an end-user trusting your package gets the user as a dependency.. why
would he have to create the user?

You as packager should know what your package requires - what user it
relies on and what not.

As others already explained, this logic only works if you assume users
only run software from distribution packages (and only those which are
kept in sync with all latest quirks). I'm afraid this is not true in
general.

Sure, you can say it's user's responsibility to make sure they have
everything their third party software of scripts need to work. But they
would have to know they need it - and in this particular case, one can
hardly expect authors of third party software to explicitely mention
they need user named "nobody" just because there is one distribution
(and let's face it, not really one of the most prominent ones) decided
not to create it.

So the question is: do we want to send our users a message that we do
not care about their needs at all once they use anything they didn't get
from the distribution - and not even in the case it would cost us almost
nothing?

Michal Kubeček