Re: [opensuse-packaging] no more nobody user on OBS?
On Wednesday 24 May 2017, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 05/23/2017 05:35 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
That is indeed wanted - the list of users has constantly been
growing and for many users/groups, it is/was not clear what
requires them.

While reducing (or better saying: letting the packages choose) is
good for the final product, how could we get some of them back on
OBS?

Some tests rely on having a 2nd user - e.g. the coreutils-testsuite
would not have to SKIP a couple of tests. (BTW: it'd be great if
abuild could be member of a second group for some of these tests).

[ 102s] basic.sh: skipped test: requires membership in two groups
[ 102s] SKIP: tests/chgrp/basic.sh
[ 119s] default-no-deref.sh: skipped test: requires membership in
two groups [ 119s] SKIP: tests/chgrp/default-no-deref.sh
[ 119s] deref.sh: skipped test: requires membership in two groups
[ 119s] SKIP: tests/chgrp/deref.sh
[ 119s] no-x.sh: skipped test: requires membership in two groups
[ 119s] SKIP: tests/chgrp/no-x.sh
[ 119s] posix-H.sh: skipped test: requires membership in two groups
[ 119s] SKIP: tests/chgrp/posix-H.sh
[ 119s] recurse.sh: skipped test: requires membership in two groups
[ 119s] SKIP: tests/chgrp/recurse.sh
[ 286s] acl.sh: skipped test: This test requires a local user named
bin. [ 286s] SKIP: tests/cp/acl.sh
[ 286s] existing-perm-race.sh: skipped test: requires membership in
two groups [ 286s] SKIP: tests/cp/existing-perm-race.sh
[ 304s] acl.sh: skipped test: This test requires a local user named
bin. [ 304s] SKIP: tests/mv/acl.sh
[ 332s] # TOTAL: 563
[ 332s] # PASS: 496
[ 332s] # SKIP: 67

Idea: could we create/have some packages doing such modifications in
the build environment via BuildRequires, but which are never shipped
to regular systems? ... actually like the abuild user?

You can add
+%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1320
+BuildRequires: user(nobody)
+%endif

However it's just annoying that we have to do that and endusers of the
distro also have to do that. Probably a user would just use useradd to
create the missing user manually with random id and group, conflicting
to the definitions of
system-user-nobody's /usr/lib/sysusers.d/system-user-nobody.conf

So the goal to clean-up and well-define our system users leads to more
randomization. I still see no benefit of not providing "daemon"
and "nobody" always in opposite to basically any other existing Linux
distro.

cu,
Rudi