Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Update rpm configuration to fix issues and rationalize configuration
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 2017-04-24 16:27, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Monday 2017-04-24 16:19, Neal Gompa wrote:

* Revert %_libexecdir to /usr/libexec. Currently, openSUSE overrides
rpm to define %_libexecdir as /usr/lib, which leads to pollution of
the /usr/lib directory with executable content as well as 64-bit
content when there shouldn't be any.

Notice how systemd uses

rootlibexecdir=$(rootprefix)/lib/systemd

Since a certain figure associated with the project is working with
RedHat, I can't help but think whether maybe SUSE was ahead of its time
to consolidate lib and libexec and that systemd copied our idea :-)
(Trying to imply here that systemd's use of lib over libexec is the
beginning of the end of libexec on Fedora..)

Incidentally, it was a huge mess to get that change in Fedora, as the
units were supposed to be in /usr/share/systemd instead, while the
binaries were in /usr/libexec/systemd. The change was made (under
protest) because systemd guys wanted the paths to be exactly the same
everywhere for systemd units and things. I continue to disagree with
this change and I would rather see it fixed at some point, but this is
not about the peculiarities of systemd.