Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Update rpm configuration to fix issues and rationalize configuration
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:28:50 -0400
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 2017-04-24 16:19, Neal Gompa wrote:

* Revert %_libexecdir to /usr/libexec. Currently, openSUSE overrides
rpm to define %_libexecdir as /usr/lib, which leads to pollution of
the /usr/lib directory with executable content as well as 64-bit
content when there shouldn't be any.

Notice how systemd uses

rootlibexecdir=$(rootprefix)/lib/systemd

Since a certain figure associated with the project is working with
RedHat, I can't help but think whether maybe SUSE was ahead of its time
to consolidate lib and libexec and that systemd copied our idea :-)

That was due to Debian wanting the systemd units in the root while not
being willing to add /share. Using /lib was the compromise. Systemd is
a very strange exception to all of this, because of Debian... :/