Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: A new home for python3 packages
On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 01:02:59 CEST Luigi Baldoni wrote:
Oliver Kurz-2 wrote

On Monday, 10 April 2017 07:24:52 CEST Luigi Baldoni wrote:
Oliver Kurz-2 wrote

On Monday, 10 April 2017 04:47:09 CEST Luigi Baldoni wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed that some python3 packages I need are, in fact,

python3-only

and that some other cannot be unified at the moment, if ever.

Also with the expectation of a mass-conversion d:l:p3 has been a tad
neglected
lately, so I was wondering if the packages above could be rehomed to
d:l:p.

Or perhaps it's too early?

The new python singlespec approach can support "python3-only" packages

and

therefore the package should be able to find a home in d:l:p. See
https://en.opensuse.org/
openSUSE:Packaging_Python_Singlespec#Packages_for_single_Python_version
for details

Last time I tried it didn't work.
Also I refer to the "As of 2017-03-07, however, this is untested and
probably broken."
clause.

Has the problem been fixed, to your knowledge?

Many packages do work based on the singlespec recipes and this is merely a
"disclaimer" because some packages for sure still don't yet fully work.

"Untested and probably broken" sounds like a somewhat strong disclaimer.
In fact, I tried again a moment ago and couldn't make it work. Do you have
a link to a working python3-only module packaged as singlespec?

not at hand, sorry

Oliver Kurz-2 wrote

In any case, what to do about packages that can't be unified because they
are developed
elsewhere than d:l:p?

I don't see a reason why the singlespec approach can not be used just
because
the package is developed elsewhere also I can not answer that question.

If the maintainers of said devel project won't/can't support the singlespec
approach
for the time being, I'd say it's a problem.

So, in that case, would python3- packages be acceptable in d:l:p?

My simple guess would be 'no' because d:l:p has (or should have) the simple
requirement to only accept new packages when they follow python singlespec. If
there is no maintainer to support the single spec recipe, why should it be in
d:l:p?