Re: [opensuse-packaging] not restarting the docker service on running zypper update?

On 01/20/2017 09:32 PM, Jordi Massaguer Pla wrote:
Hi packagers,

I am packaging docker and we have this problem that if a user runs an
unattended update, docker gets updated and so restarted. However, this
is causing downtime issues on their services which are inside containers.

I know there is the "--skip-interactive" flag for zypper ...

So my question is. Should we mark docker as "interactive" and if so, how
do we do that?

Should we not restart docker when installing? I think you should, but am
I wrong?

Are there other packages with similar problems? mariadb?

thanks in advance

jordi

Sorry, I only just noticed this today, we already added handling for
this in the docker spec file [1] late last year. Changing the
"last_migration_version" will cause "DISABLE_RESTART_ON_UPDATE=yes" to
be exported in the postun script which will cause the service not to be
restarted see boo#980555. This means the docker service will only be
restarted if a migration won't be caused.

For dbus we have done it slightly differently [2] by modifying the file
in /etc/sysconfig it allowed us to block the update even though
DISABLE_RESTART_ON_UPDATE is not exported in the older version's postun
section, we also now always export DISABLE_RESTART_ON_UPDATE=yes for
dbus as we never want it to restart during an update so in a few months
time we will probably remove the code messing with config files as
hopefully most of tumbleweed will have migrated away.

Appologies again that it took this long for me to miss and then see the
email, I was off at a conference.

1.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Virtualization:containers/docker/docker.spec?expand=1
2.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Base:System/dbus-1/dbus-1.spec?expand=1

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30