Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: moving from separate users to user monitoring for everything
Am 17. Januar 2017 01:00:35 MEZ schrieb Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>:
IIRC there was a discussion about a username policy for packages some
years ago, and one of the ideas was to enforce that (new) system users
and groups should always start with an underscore, for example
"_monitoring". However, the user list in rpmlint looks like this policy

was never honored, and I'm not even sure if it left the proposal stage.

Sounds reasonable to me.

The interesting part is the other way: nagios/icinga can provide
performance data for 3rd party packages to process them. But if the
Nagios process is not able to write the data into the defined
directory of the 3rd party package (because the default user might be
icinga and not nagios), that's bad. So someone has to add the
nagios/icinga/shinken/... user to a 3rd party group.

Or the 3rd party packages have to use the "monitoring" group for those
directories, which might be the easier solution.

That's why I want to go the way with one user and two groups for all monitoring
daemons :-)

But we should in general think about /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/ - the
standard installation place for all "monitoring plugins" at the
moment. If we are correct, those plugins should go into something
like /usr/lib/monitoring/plugins in the future - maybe with a symlink
to the old place for a couple of years?

This would also mean that the plugins _have to_ be compatible with all
monitoring tools (nagios/incinga/whatever). Are they?

The answer is: yes! :-)

=> time to start a "monitoring cleanup round" ;-)

Will you do this before or after the progress.o.o cleanup? ;-)
I did quite some ticket cleanup and sorting in the last days, but I'm
OOP [1] to continue with several of them.

Hihi ;-) let me see what I can do. I just want to clarify the monitoring
situation before 42.3 gets in the hot phase.

CU,
Lars

BTW: anyone interested in Hackweek?