Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: moving from separate users to user monitoring for everything
Hi

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:49:30 +0100 Christian Boltz wrote:
Please note that at least icinga, naemon, nagios and shinken are
very similar and even their configuration is more or less
compatible. So you can easily migrate between the different daemons
without too much administration overhead.

Does "more or less compatible" also mean that they store their
configuration and the collected data in the same directories?

No. At least not in the standard way. You can start icinga with
"/usr/sbin/icinga /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg" to use the nagios
configuration instead of the default icinga one, but all bring their
own configuration in their own directory namespace.

That would allow the 3rd party applications/packages to use the same
user/group without any modifications.

Do these 3rd party applications need full access to all files owned
by the "monitoring" user, or only by some of them (like sockets)?

Would it be an option to create "monitoring" and "monitorcmd" groups
and to make the relevant files group-writeable while keeping the
separate "nagios" etc. users?

Might be. An interesting approach that I need to check. As I wrote in
another mail: this might also be a solution for 3rd party add-ons that
expect the monitoring daemons to write into their (the 3rd party app)
directories.

CU,
Lars