Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: moving from separate users to user monitoring for everything
Hi

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:36:37 +0100 Christian wrote:
Am 11.01.2017 um 13:17 schrieb Lars Vogdt:
* use only the following users - at least for the packages icinga,
nagios, naemon and shinken: monitoring
* use only the following main group: monitoring
* use only the following sub-group: monitorcmd
usr: mon or i(cinga)n(agios,aemon)s(shinken)mon -> insmon
group: mon or insmon
sub group: moncmd or insmoncmd

According to my latest experience with reviews, a 3 character
user/group name is considered too short => mon will not get accepted.

While I can understand your idea of combining the daemon names in the
future name for the user/group, I suspect that this will not make
the use-case of these user/group really clear to our customers. That's
why I suggested "monitoring"...

is it possible to have this new user/group only for the 3rd-party
packages to allow this new user/group to access icinga, nagios & co
stuff ?

Depends: some of those 3rd party packages need only access to a socket,
which can easily be done by adding them to a group that has access (if
you know the group name of each monitoring daemon, of course ;-).

The interesting part is the other way: nagios/icinga can provide
performance data for 3rd party packages to process them. But if the
Nagios process is not able to write the data into the defined directory
of the 3rd party package (because the default user might be icinga
and not nagios), that's bad. So someone has to add the
nagios/icinga/shinken/... user to a 3rd party group.

The directory names are also an interesting point (/var/{lib,log}/icinga
vs. /var/{lib,log}/nagios as example), where I'm currently unsure how
to handle them. From a first view, keeping them as they are might be
the best solution.

But we should in general think about /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/ - the
standard installation place for all "monitoring plugins" at the moment.
If we are correct, those plugins should go into something
like /usr/lib/monitoring/plugins in the future - maybe with a symlink
to the old place for a couple of years?

=> time to start a "monitoring cleanup round" ;-)

CU,
Lars