Re: [opensuse-packaging] opensuse / SLE conditional logic?
On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Peter Linnell <plinnell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 10:41:49 -0400
Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Darin Perusich <darin@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Greg,

I've created linkpac's for unresolvable packages for SLE_12* and
their dependencies, which will take some time to build. I think I
have all the ocaml deps linked, but we'll need to wait and see and
adjust as needed.
--
Later,
Darin

Great. Suricata is a pretty major package. I think it would be worth
the effort to get into SLE 12 SP2, but I know nothing about that
process.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Getting a package into the enterprise SLES is a much more complex
process which involves Product Management, many different Engineering
departments etc.

Where SLE12SP2 in the release cycle, it is way too late to add a
package to the distro.

Now I did have a look at Suricata and I can see this would be very
valuable to paying enterprise customers of SUSE. There is a
alternative called Package Hub. See: https://packagehub.suse.com

Call it a "soft opening", but expect a lot more noise about this around
the time of SUSECon in November.

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks for the feedback Peter. I was actually thinking of SLES 12 SP3
(or whatever SLES SP2->next is).

Note that Suricata, libprelude, and the Prelude SIEM all work
together. libprelude is a major project of its own and is
incorporated into the Prelude SIEM. libprelude and the Prelude SIEM
just went into factory last couple months. Getting libprelude, Prelude
SIEM, and Suricata into SP3 might be a fairly involved process, but an
effort worth making in my uninformed opinion.

Regardless of what the SUSE team chooses to do, I plan to submit
Suricata to factory in the not too distant future. That will complete
the libprelude / Suricata / Prelude SIEM package set.

The Suricata package isn't yet up to factory standards in my opinion
and there may need to be a supplemental package or 2. (ie.
suricata-rules is in someones home project. We may want that for
factory as well.)

Greg