Re: [opensuse-packaging] SLE_12_SP1 repository in devel projects
On Mon, Dec 21, Andrew Daugherity wrote:

On Dec 18, 2015, at 2:40 AM, Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a reason why various projects build for SP3 and SP4 instead of
just a generic "SLE_11" target? I think the service packs are compatible
when used as a build environment.
Backward compatible, not forward compatible, i.e. things built for
SLES 11 should work w/o modification in all later service packs, but
something built against a particular SP may not necessarily work with
earlier SPs. SP2 or SP3 bumped the major kernel version; another big
change I can think of is PHP, which was 5.2 in SLES 11; then SP2 added
5.3 alongside it, and SP3 dropped 5.2.

So this would affect only few specific projects. Its obvious that KMPs
require a specific kernel, so *_SPx projects are fine. No idea about
PHP, SP2 is out of service.

I’ve mostly moved on to SLES 12 with its newer PHP (thankfully named
just ‘php5’ again) rather than trying to fight this battle, but I
really hope they don’t repeat this naming mess, but rather just
replace the ‘php5’ packages with new versions whenever the next update
cycle of the SLE12 Web/Scripting module is.

Not sure how modules are handled in OBS.

So in the end most projects will continue to work with a generic
"SLE_12" target which internally points to the latest SP.

Olaf