Re: [opensuse-packaging] py2pack ignores requirements.txt?
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 23:26:05 +0100
Jason Craig <os-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/01/2015 02:10 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
Is it just me or does py2pack really ignore requirements.txt files and
assume that dependencies are only stated within setup.py? I have
filed this as

https://github.com/saschpe/py2pack/issues/25

but that would seem like such a fundamental feature gap that it seems
more likely that I'm missing something (after all I am a Python
packaging newbie), otherwise presumably py2pack would be useless for
many modules.

Packages declare their dependencies in setup.py, so that is where
py2pack looks for them, just like setuptools and pip.

But setup.py is just code, so it can invoke code in other files in
order to determine the dependencies.

As far as I
understand it, a requirements file is more for developing a set of
packages with versions known to work well in a certain
configuration--e.g. if you are deploying a web application with a
complex list of requirements that is only really tested with a
specific set of versions of those requirements, something of that
nature.

I think this behavior is by design.

If so, IMHO this design is broken because it excludes the pbr
approach, and the OpenStack community is a significant contributor to
the Python ecosystem:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/pbr/#requirements