Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] heads-up: dropping SLE11 compatibility in d:l:python and python3
On 02/23/2015 03:49 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:

Hi,

On 02/23/2015 08:40 AM, Jan Matějek wrote:
Folks,

I'll be disabling builds for SLE11 in the following repositories:
devel:languages:python devel:languages:python3 The SLE11 repository
will not be removed; if you *want* to build for SLE11, you can
explicitly enable it for your package.

I have also already started declining requests to these repos that
contain SLE11 compatibility conditionals (%if %suse_version < 1230
or lower). This only applies to newly-added conditionals, and new
package submits: If you're only updating a package that already has
this in the spec file, the request will be accepted. I'll still
accept requests with conditionals, IF you ask for it in the
request message; our goal is simply to make this an exception and
not the default.
Well the following clearly indicates that this should be handled
differently.

(Fellow d:l:py reviewers, please consider adopting this policy
too.)
If there is a change to the policy for d:l:python and d:l:python3 at
the devel project level than this is something that should be, should
have been, discussed in the open prior to an announcement and should
have also been discussed and agreed upon by devel project maintainers
prior to an announcement.

We cannot be in a position where the acceptance of a submit request to
a devel project depends on the mood of one specific maintainer. How
you handle the packages you maintain is of course up to you. But
making devel project wide announcements without a prior discussion and
at least listening to what other maintainers of Python packages have
to say is rude at best.

Why is it so difficult to have a discussion and not hit people over
the head. This kind of behavior has caused some many problems in the
past, will continue to cause problems. Why is it so hard to figure out
that people do not like to be hit over the head with uni-lateral
announcements?

Later,
Robert

- -- Robert Schweikert MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
Public Cloud Architect LINUX
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx
IRC: robjo
Personally, I just would like to say I disagree with that decision. It doesn't require any extra work from us, why disabling SLE11 support ?