Re: [opensuse-packaging] Patches naming (include source version?)
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 06:41:02 +0100
On Wednesday 04 of February 2015 01:39:59 Kyrill Detinov wrote:

I remember, there was an instruction to name patches versioning. I
can't find the source now.
"Do NOT use %{version} macro in Patch: line, specify the version by
hand." — it looks alternative: either "%{version}" or version [by
hand].

I always understood this rather as "if you want to include version in
patch name, use a fixed string, not %{version} macro", i.e. not telling
you to include version but how to do it if you decide to.

I'm not sure here. A quick investigation shows:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/bash
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/bc
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/bluez

My guess is this is mostly a relict of old days when one often had
multiple sources unpacked in one SOURCES directory so that naming all
patches and sources prefixed with package name was a useful trick to
avoid collision and distinguish which package does the patch belong to.

Today, one has separate directories for OBS packages so that it's clear
from the context what package does the patch belong to and duplicating
that information in patch file name would be superfluous. However, it
doesn't harm anything and old habits die hard so that many packages keep
this convention. Others generate their patches from git repositories and
use names generated by "git format-patch". You can even find packages
where old patches follow the traditional name - version - shortcut
scheme and newer ones have git generated names.

Michal Kubeček