Re: [opensuse-packaging] Patches naming (include source version?)
  • From: Kyrill Detinov <lazy.kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 01:39:59 +0300

Hello.

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:32:11 +0100 Christian Boltz wrote:

The advice not to use the %{version} macro in a patch name is still
valid, because otherwise you'd have to rename the patch each time the
version number changes.

This is clear.

Note that the guidelines doesn't say that you should or should not
include the version number in the patch name. It only says that you
should avoid using the %{version} macro.

I remember, there was an instruction to name patches versioning. I can't
find the source now.
"Do NOT use %{version} macro in Patch: line, specify the version by
hand." — it looks alternative: either "%{version}" or version [by hand].

What is the right way? I prefer to have a version in a patch name to
know that foo-1.2.4-fix_something.patch is applied for "foo = 1.2.4"
and, possibly, for "foo > 1.2.4". And it isn't applied for "foo <
1.2.4".

Well, it depends ;-)

Let's say you have a patch that fixes a bug in foo 1.2.4, and that
bug is also fixed upstream in the next (not yet available) release.
In this case, it makes sense to include the version number in the
patch, for example
foo-1.2.4-fix-crash.patch
so that you can easily spot "outdated" and no longer needed patches.

OTOH, I'd avoid the version number in patches that aren't meant to go
upstream (for example some changes in a config file so that it better
fits for openSUSE) and will probably stay in the openSUSE package
forever. For example,
foo-set-packager-to-zypper.patch
makes more sense than
foo-1.0.1-set-packager-to-zypper.patch
which looks a bit strange when the package version number increases.

I'm not sure here. A quick investigation shows:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/bash
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/bc
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/bluez

Another option is to have a comment line for each patch in the spec,

I totally agree. And this requirement is described in
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Patches_guidelines#Type_1:_minimal_single-line_comment_in_spec_file

--
WBR
Kyrill