Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: RPM in openSUSE 13.1
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:47:27 -0200
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
that the right answer was not immediately obvious. Did you try
Claudio's suggestion of

Recommend: alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit

It does not work when using rpm directly

So? Plenty of things don't work when using rpm directly.

There is difference between missing automatic dependency resolution and
download and silently installing package that cannot work correctly due
to missing dependency. It is OK to not install package that lacks
prerequisites (even though it could be annoying). It is not OK to
silently install package that cannot work.

Very few people will use RPM directly. When you double-click an RPM in
openSUSE, it's opened by default (last time I checked) with zypper (or
something that uses libzypp), and zypper will know what to do.

People that use RPM directly will know how to fix this (it's quite
unlikely they'll be newbies).

Now, I truly aggree: 32bit packages should add the provides for
libname(32bit). But that will take time to be implemented (ie: next
release). Recommends is a good workaround till then.