Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: RPM in openSUSE 13.1
В Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:54:08 +0000
Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx> пишет:

Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Marco Cimmino Gibellini (marco.cimmino@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
If openSUSE community is however not interested in a fully working
out-of-the-box openSUSE rpm package then we may think to remove
support for it and be happy with Fedora's RPM package which seems
much easier to produce for us.

Of course we're interested :-) That's why you already got ~20 replies
within 24 hours or so. But it seems your question is unusual enough

I rather consider unusual forcing two packages with identical content
but different names.

Which two packages are you talking about?

I mean libfoo.i586 and libfoo-32bit.x86_64. They are identical. Being
able to use the same libfoo.i586 on both 32 and 64 bit distro would be
beneficial both from build time and space consumption point of view.

that the right answer was not immediately obvious. Did you try
Claudio's suggestion of

Recommend: alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit

It does not work when using rpm directly

So? Plenty of things don't work when using rpm directly.

There is difference between missing automatic dependency resolution and
download and silently installing package that cannot work correctly due
to missing dependency. It is OK to not install package that lacks
prerequisites (even though it could be annoying). It is not OK to
silently install package that cannot work.

and even with zypper users are free to use --no-recommends.

But the vast majority of users won't, so that doesn't render the use
of Recommend: pointless.

You can just as well simply describe this requirement on download page.

In preference to making it work automatically in the majority of cases?

This will make cases when it does not work even more mysterious and
puzzling, unfortunately.

Is there any reason why 32 bit libraries cannot provide libname(32bit)
just like 64 bit libraries provide libname(64bit)?

That sounds like a good idea to me.