Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: RPM in openSUSE 13.1
On Friday 2014-01-17 06:23, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

Is there any reason why 32 bit libraries cannot provide libname(32bit)
just like 64 bit libraries provide libname(64bit)?

You do:

rpm -ihv libfoo.i586.rpm
rpm -ihv libfoo.x86_64.rpm

Now assume there is a new version of libfoo (with same SONAME, which
is entirely reasonable).

rpm -U libfoo.i586.rpm

would nuke libfoo.x86_64 from the system.

rpm -i libfoo.i586.rpm

would yield a conflict. What would be needed is a way to use both -i and -e in
one call, which I do not remember being possible with stock rpm command line
tool. The Fedora camp chose to sweep it under the rug, forcing users instead to
use an advanced manager (iyum, zypper, etc.) which interacts with librpm and
supports multiversion in some way.

Problem 2:

If you have libfoo-devel.i586 and libfoo-devel.x86_64, it is possible that
they conflict too, as some upstreams put arch-specific parts in files
shared\between the two (like .h files).

(as such, Suse -devel-32bit do not include /usr/include files by default;
and yes, we are taking some chances with that.)