Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Proper version scheme for packages from git, hg, svn, ...

On Tuesday 2014-01-14 14:18, Adam Spiers wrote:

I don't think Jan is opposed to using git (he offered to push his clone
somewhere IIRC)

No, he actually did push it - not just offer.

.oO(But putting it up and talking about it on a public mailing list,
I at least fulfill "offering" in a legal sense.) ~random thought~

he is opposed to using github. Which are two different subjects.

Yes, I was fully aware of that. But he was claiming a similarity
between requesting submissions via github and using a non-git
solution

The intent was to say: Requestion a github submission would seem to
require registering at Github, which _poses_ an entry barrier.
A non-git solution would also pose an entry barrier. In both
cases significant enough to just walk away.

http://blog.adamspiers.org/2012/11/10/7-principles-for-contributing-patches-to-software-projects/
says

"Submit patches in the way upstream wants to receive them"

Yes, but tread lightly.

A good maintainer should be prepared to accept nonperfect submissions
massage the code to his needs, doctrines or development environment.

Rejecting a patch that fails to apply with TortoiseSVN even though it
is totally compliant to the unified diff specification is something
not within my maintainer ideals.