Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Proper version scheme for packages from git, hg, svn, ...
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:06:03 +0000
Matwey V. Kornilov (matwey.kornilov@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
10.09.2013 15:33, Jan Engelhardt пишет:

On Tuesday 2013-09-10 13:22, Sascha Peilicke wrote:

I'd like to gather some input on versioning schemes used for
packaging SCM snapshots. [...] Here's a small list of flavors that
I've come across or used myself.[...] TL;DR: My recommendation would
be to (at least loosely) follow pattern 5) versioning.

Pattern 5 "X+git.1363873583.8dfab15" is terribly long, and hashes are
useless in many situations, either because history is practically linear
(like systemd's git) or because you are only ever following master.

TL;DR:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_naming_guidelines#Handling_special_version_strings

Should I assume that guidelines at the link have been fixed

They haven't.

according the decision token after this terrible long discussion?

Well, I spammed the thread with my opinions, and IMHO I *believe* that
I successfully countered any objections to the scheme which my team
favours ... but I'm not sure whether the fact that there were no more
*publically stated* objections counts as a consensus ;-) I'm not even
sure what the process would be for formally finalising such a
decision.

Well, I suppose it's only a guidelines document not a strict policy,
so maybe we should just update the wiki page with the points covered
in the thread. Any volunteers? /me looks at the OP (Sascha ;-)