Re: [opensuse-packaging] lib prefix considered harmful
On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 09:00:30AM +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Michal Vyskocil wrote:
Therefor I have fixed and extended the zlib example[3], which should
make that more clear. Source package name is zlib, because that is how
both upstream and tarballs are named. But shared library package is
libz1 according SONAME, where devel files are in zlib-devel. The name
libz-devel might be acceptable as well, but it is confusing to me. But
as long as pkgconfig(zlib) is the prefered form, the name of devel
package is less important nowadays.

Less important for the build system maybe. I still have a hard time
getting used to things like libSDL-devel or worse libopenssl-devel
when there isn't even a libopenssl. So I agree, it feels counter

or libqt4 - unfortunatelly I did not catch up libqt5 :-/

intuitive to me too. Naming devel packages according to the shared
library only makes sense if the package contains multiple
independent shared libraries that have distinct header files. So IMO
"%package devel" should be preferred over "%package -n
$something-devel"

ack from me - in that case, can you update a wiki page? IOW remove the
libz-devel and most prefferably to add an another example, where devel
package should be named according shared library?

Regards
Michal Vyskocil

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Shared_library_packaging_policy
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_naming_guidelines#General_Naming