Re: [opensuse-packaging] factory-auto will start checking bnc# visibility
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:28:17 -0200
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Ruediger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx> wrote:
No, I don't care about about private bugs in bugzilla. I just
don't want to have them in submit messages, changelogs and
patchinfo of openSUSE packages.

Again, just removing information does not help anyone and will
have bad impact on the workforce in openSUSE Factory.

Hm, seems you cannot understand this because you _have_ access.
From my point of view we wouldn't remove any information if we
remove those dead links.

They help you indirectly.

Having them in allows to review whether all patches that were done
for SLES are also done for openSUSE. We had a couple of engineers
looking especially at this during the last year so that openSUSE does
not miss anything important.

Without the bnc numbers it would be really hard to figure out...

I know this because I cannot figure out already now ...

You can. You don't know what the patch is about, but you know patch
3824783 is in both at least.

I think an enhancement to the WebUI or OSC that warns about private
bnc references on checkin would be best. Something like source
validation, but that emits a warning and lets the commit in.

Because I'd bet many of those bugs remain private because SUSE
employees don't even notice they're introducing dead links for the
rest. If they knew, they'd be able to take care of it.

The review interface could also mark it, and that would help package
reviewers. If you see a private bnc reference, you'll know to check
extra carefully whether the changelog text is self-sufficient. If not,
you can relax.