[opensuse-packaging] Re: Extended Chromium builds for openSUSE !
On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:52, Jan Ritzerfeld <suse@...> wrote:

Am Montag, 4. November 2013, 15:18:48 schrieb Raymond Wooninck:
[...]
can you try the chromium package (the 30.0.xxx one), to see if this one
works with the old libicu libs ? I have adjusted the build to utilize
the internal libicu again for 12.2 and 12.3.
[snip]
and I will submit it as a Maintenance update.

Now you some kind of lost me since I am relatively new to this: Why do we
need a maintenance update here?

1. a "Maintenance update" lands in the "distro update" repo, instead of
just the network:chromium repo. and is thus available for all via
"zypper patch".

2. the hole happening (around libicu) gets more and better documentation
than otherwise, including corresponding bnc entries, and can now be
found and handled when other software hits the same bug(s)

3. the security team can do an evalution about the reach and level of the
problem the old libicu bears, e.g. what packages are hit by this, does
this open exploidable holes, etc.

does this overview help to answer your question?
Anybody else, please correct me if I got things wrong here,
as I'm just human, and not omnipotent, nor all-knowing.

- Yamaban.