Re: [opensuse-packaging] Mixed case package names for php and python packages
On 05/02/2013 06:29 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 02/05/13 09:54, Johannes Weberhofer escribió:
Dear all,

I'm currently packaging several python packages, and found that there
are several packages available in mixed case notation (E.g.
python-PyYAML or python-Sphinx). There is al global rule documented in
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_naming_guidelines#Case_Sensitivity

, saying whenever possible lowercase package-names should be used.

I have found lots of packages (like php5-pear-Horde*) in the php section
and also many others in the python section. Shouldn't that be cleaned up
(as a long-term-target)? For cross-distribution projects it makes things
a bit difficult, as e.g. Fedora uses the lower-case filenames of several
python projects.

Johannes

I would just add a provides with lowercase name to existent packages and
enforce the lowercase naming with new packages only.

Don't do that, ask the specific maintainers about their opinions instead. Adding provides for lowercase names re-introduces naming collision issues I explained elsewhere in this thread. Been there, done that. "Fedora does it" is not a justification per se.
--
With kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke