Re: [opensuse-packaging] package looking for maintainer: the AT daemon
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:31:31 +0100
Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Tuesday 27 November 2012, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Michal Kubeček wrote:
On Tuesday 27 of November 2012 11:21EN, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
The person decided to do it via shell hacks as it was
quite common to do it that way back then. It's a good thing to get
rid of such hacks and patch the features into daemon itself
anyways, indepedent of whether or not systemd is used for booting.

As far as I can say from the proposed config, the features are
actually implemented in atd and the "hacks" just translate
sysconfig variables to command line parameters. Many init scripts
do things like this as daemons rarely parse /etc/sysconfig
themselves.

So? We are talking about free software here. Add a few lines of C and
they do. No need to add shell wrappers.

Hm, on the other hand this at package is a very good example how you can
mess up a package by adding tons of "nice" patches so that it becomes
really hard to follow upstream.

Suse's at packages got not updates from upstream since 2005. Maybe one
reason for this is that nobody wants to rebase (and test) all these
existing patches.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the maintainer never tried to get the patches
upstream? Maybe upstream is an idiot? Maybe the patches are bad quality?
Maybe the project was dead and had no upstream for a long time? Do you
know? I don't. Someone who actually cares about maintainging the at
package has to find out and clean up the mess.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel