Re: [opensuse-packaging] package looking for maintainer: the AT daemon
At Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:38:38 +0100,
Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Michal Kubeček wrote:
On Tuesday 27 of November 2012 11:21EN, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
The person decided to do it via shell hacks as it was
quite common to do it that way back then. It's a good thing to get
rid of such hacks and patch the features into daemon itself anyways,
indepedent of whether or not systemd is used for booting.

As far as I can say from the proposed config, the features are actually
implemented in atd and the "hacks" just translate sysconfig variables to
command line parameters. Many init scripts do things like this as
daemons rarely parse /etc/sysconfig themselves.

So? We are talking about free software here. Add a few lines of C and
they do. No need to add shell wrappers.

True, but only if parsing (SUSE-specific) sysconfig variables is
acceptable for the upstream, too. In other words, if such a patch
won't be merged to the upstream, we'll need to carry over the patch
forever. It'd be much more pain than maintaining an init shell
script.

(Of course, this is about packages where we do "follow upstream".
For packages that carry already tons of our own patches, it doesn't
matter :)

Takashi