Re: [opensuse-packaging] package looking for maintainer: the AT daemon
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:21:32 +0100
Detlef Steuer wrote:

I don't think the above is in the spirit of systemd. Ideally atd would
parse /etc/sysconfig/atd itself¹ and set it's defaults accordingly.

I think this remark shows very cleanly why so many *feel* that there
is something wrong with the systemd concept. May be it has some merits
over sysinit, but:

It contradicts KISS. "atd" (or any other daemon) should do what it is
designed for. If any init system wants to start it, it has to deal
with "at", *not* the other way round. To me what you call "ideally"
sounds just like a wrong way.

Well, this has nothing to do with systemd actually. Looks like at some
point in time someone decided that atd should be configurable via
sysconfig. The person decided to do it via shell hacks as it was quite
common to do it that way back then. It's a good thing to get rid of such
hacks and patch the features into daemon itself anyways, indepedent of
whether or not systemd is used for booting.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel