Re: [opensuse-packaging] Fwd: [sleuthkit-users] Framework on Linux / OS X
Hi,

Le vendredi 16 novembre 2012, à 18:22 -0500, Greg Freemyer a écrit :
Question from upstream package (tsk) about managing a config data directory.

See their email below, but it asks about how they should manage
configuring multiple possible config data locations. (ie. "/etc/tsk"
or "~/.tsk" or even "~/.tsk; /etc/tsk").

Upstream is proposing either having a hardcoded value in the source
which is updated prior to compiling OR alternatively to use a
environment variable.

I assume the answer in order of preference is:

1) Have the hardcoded default value and let ./configure override it by
modifying the source. (I'm not enough of an autotools guy to do that,
but I assume it can be done.)

2) Environmental variables are preferred if and only if each user has
their own config data location and it can't be a standard like ~/.tsk

Before I send that back to upstream, can someone confirm I have it right.

I'd recommend looking for the configuration in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME first,
and $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS if there's nothing in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

For definition of those environment variables (and the default values to
use if they are unset):
http://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

(if it's data files, not config files, that'd be
$XDG_DATA_HOME/$XDG_DATA_DIRS).

Cheers,

Vincent

--