[opensuse-packaging] OBS supports constraints now
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:56:32 +0100

After updating build.opensuse.org to current OBS code we have
now support for build job constraints now.

This means you can tell OBS to build a certain package, repository
or project to build only on build hosts which grant a certain hardware or
software feature.

Just to name two examples, you can require a certain amount of
memory or storage space. Or you can build on a special kind of
build host which guarantees you that benchmark result can be
compared between the build jobs.

Please note that you limit your package to be dispatched to a subset
of hosts. So it may dispatched way later or in worst case not at all
when we do not have such a build host. This means it stays in "scheduled"
state.

We do _NOT_ have a "dispatchstatus" yet which would tell if a job is
dispatchable
at all or not.

Please find details about this feature in our book chapter:

http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.build_job_constraints.html

Just as an example, you may want to require a VM memory size of 2GB.
You need add a "_constraints" file into your package source with
this syntax:

<constraints>
<hardware>
<memory unit=G>2</memory>
</hardware>
</constraints>

Or you want to run on a specific new host, which we have to
have comparable benchmarks. There is only running one build
job on this hardware and it will always have the same
hardware configuration. You need to use the hostlabel "benchmark"
in our build.opensuse.org instance:

<constraints>
<hostlabel>benchmark</hostlabel>
</constraints>