Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE Packaging Guidelines Update
On 11/07/2012 12:53 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Jaeger (aj@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
On the opensuse-packaging mailing list, we've recently formed a team
that will take care of the packaging guidelines and introduced a
small process to change them:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines_change_process

As part of that process, we're announcing regularly the changes to the
packaging guidelines. Since this is a first such announcement, it
is not a complete change but just points out a few things from the
past few months. In the future, we will send out this email once a
month.

The Packaging guidelines can be found at
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines .

That sounds great!

I'm quite new to most of this, but I just wanted to mention / confess
that in the last few days I have been attempting to improve

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Ruby

based on discussions on opensuse-ruby. There are still some
unanswered questions which hopefully will be resolved very shortly.
I very much like the idea of enforcing policy by extending rpmlint;
however it seems that some people are happy to ignore rpmlint
warnings :-/ I guess the badness numbers could be tweaked to deal
with this.
The review team does look at rpmlint issues but mostly we tend to
explain why we would like to have them fixed but let the package pass
anyway if it's only about minor ones. And I wouldn't want to change this
inclusive approach, since sometimes people even react to our humble
suggestions ;-)

BTW. we do decline packages when (even minor) rpmlint pile up to level
that isn't acceptable anymore (subjective, off course).
--
With kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke

< Previous Next >