Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packaging Guideline enforcement
On 10/28/2012 06:41 PM, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 14:38 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

That information should be retrived from a different source, just like
upstream changelogs. either
from the SCM history, rpm metadata or something automated and yet to be
developed, where the OBS knows a new patch has been added
and stores such information for everybody to see, without bothering
packages with meaningless tasks.

The OBS knows but your other fellow packagers have no clue what that
patch is for if there is no patch tag.

I know you know better than that Christian.. BUT: OBS is not really a
VCS... you know, I know.. everybody knows.. let's stop claiming the
opposite.

It is so absurd that complyng with this rules takes more time than
actually fixing a problem.

Packaging is a task of it's own... and, considering that I can update an
entire gnome stack in < 2 days (which is ~ 200 packages!) I don't think
those 'rules' are that difficult to honor... in fact, they just ask you
to write down what you do... I know, documentation is NOT exactly what
devs like.. but without it, we're just lost.

I would actually advocate that even in devel projects of packages that
are part of factory. if the submitted package has patches and the
patches are not neither tagged in the spec, nor have a header that
briefly describes the purpose of the patch should be declined until they
meet the patching guidelines.

Because if I as a contributor would like to update the package either to
a newer version or fixing some broken build; if there are no patch tags
in the spec or no header in the patch, I am spending time to figure out
what does that patch do and in newer versions why the patch fails.

In my opinion following patch guidelines is not bureaucracy nor absurd
but courtesy towards other contributors.

Togan