Re: [opensuse-packaging] python installing modules to /usr/local by default - good or bad?
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:09:10 +0200
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Jan Matejek <jan.matejek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Dne 27.9.2012 18:23, Claudio Freire napsal(a):

Why do you think the patches aren't upstreamable?

Because the change would be unsystematic - to do this "properly", parts of
distutils would have to be redesigned and that's out of scope of any of our
bugs ;e) The patch would be implementing a special behavior in order to
conform to FHS, introducing possible compatibility problems (modules
confused about their whereabouts), when all the while Python itself hits a
couple of FHS gray areas anyway.

Actual solution might be to cooperate with Debian on their "dist-packages"
thing and try to upstream that.

Why couldn't the patch merely implement a more flexible way to handle
prefixes, and then we override the default in our packages?

-Todd