Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packaging Policies - and how to change them: A proposal
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:30:25 +0200
On Monday, October 01, 2012 16:02:55 Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
On 10/01/2012 01:07 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Looking at our packaging policies, I see nobody nobody currently
taking care of it and no real process to change them and make those
changes known.

I guess somehow double nobody makes somebody ;) please have a look at
the following messages, was that similar to what you have in mind

<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2012-09/msg00123.html>
<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2012-09/msg00214.html>

Yes, those kind of messages show the problem we currently have and that
I'd like to help with. My proposal for these would be for the future: No
discussion - thus means approved; please update the wiki with these
changes - and then it gets announced.

But as you can see I could not get anything out of it. Guess people
rather want to discuss the version numbering and who is our potential
user, but seems like very few care about the potential contributors,
even though on almost every occasion people read this project is about
collaboration.

So, I'd like to propose the following:

* Introduce a simple process for changing the policies, e.g.:
- send an email to opensuse-packaging with a proposal for change
- discuss change

- if change gets accepted by packagers and reviewers:
+ update the wiki pages
+ send an email to opensuse-announce about the change (we can
also

collect a couple of smaller changes and only send this out
once
a while)

* I suggest to form a small team that guides the process and decides

if there is no consensus - and better formulates the process.

Any better ideas?

Not at the moment but your proposal sounds good.

Who likes to join the team and help shaping the packaging policies?

Count me in

thanks,
Andreas