Re: [opensuse-packaging] License problem with Pythia 6
  • From: Atri <badshah400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 02:49:20 +0530
Hi Thomas!

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 21:18 +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
Hi,
I'm currently packaging some physics related software package. But after
sending a submit request to the science project, TheBlackHat has pointet me
a license problem with one of the packages: pythia 6 (
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=libpythia6&project=home%3AHeinervdm

), and asked me to write to this mailing list.

The problem is, that pythia 6 has no license, as is mentioned in this bug
report: http://pythia6.hepforge.org/trac/ticket/10

My question to them about the license problem was answered as follows:

The comments provided to the ticket you mention still stand,
i.e. if you use common sense then we see no problem. Our definition
of common sense is reflected in the MCnet guidelines, see e.g.
http://www.montecarlonet.org/GUIDELINES
Specifically, if you plan to redistribute the whole Pythia6 library
unmodified then we would not have any objections.

What do you think about this issue? Is it possible to package this library
for
openSUSE?

For me the devel projects were sth. like a staging area, where such problems
are solved after accepting the package. Therefore I haven't thought much
about
this license issue before submitting the package...

Regards
Thomas

My suggestion would be to package the version 8.1 instead, which is also
the version recommended by upstream currently (see [1]). This version is
licensed under the GPLv2, and it should not lead to any licensing issues
as far as I understand, though, of course, IANAL ;)

Hope that helps; bye.
--
Atri

[1] http://home.thep.lu.se/~torbjorn/Pythia.html