Re: [opensuse-packaging] Build tool suggestion
scons > cmake ;)

2012/7/2 Sankar P <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Quoting Sankar P <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>:

I am trying to write a shared library, which will have about a dozen
.c files and a single .h file that will exposed outside. I want this
library to be working on linux, windows and mac. What is the best
tool to use for this, which will require very less of my time and
will generate the .so or .dll appropriately as per the platform ?

I googled a bit and found that there are a lot of tools like
libtool, cmake, ninja/gyp (used by chromium) etc. What is the best
tool recommended by the openSUSE community members for such a build
operation ?

Sankar,

Generally, they are all broken. So it does not really matter.

That's encouraging :-)

autoconf/automake (autotools) has a lot of resources available and is
usually one of the easier ones to get started with (this is the
'standard' configure / make / make install).

cmake is decent, rather easy and for the platforms you listed also not
too bad to handle.

So, I am going ahead with cmake as it is the only build system that seem to
have some fans. Duncan called it perfect in fact. So I am going ahead with it.

Thanks.

Sankar

Dominique

Nelson Marques
// I've stopped trying to understand sandwiches with a third piece of
bread in the middle...