Re: [opensuse-packaging] multimedia (and subrepos) project config
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:01:00 +0100
On 2012-01-16 16:47:43 (+0100), Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 16:40 +0100, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 01/02/2012 11:09 PM, Mariusz Fik wrote:
Also we need to ship runtime dependecies for apps in multimedia:app,
because
using this repo without multimedia:libs is not possible now.

Does the split between multimedia:apps and multimedia:libs still make
sense? Obviously the apps are not usable without libs repo added as
well, because they build against these packages. I would join both
projects into one called "multimedia". Any comments on that?

Sounds sane to me, except one thing that needs to be made clear:
Packages in multimedia:* should be handled with great care, for external
repositories link to the sources there.

So the list of 'maintainers' should probably not grow to an
unmaintainable long list of non-active users. Better keep it to a low
number of active / versed reviewers.

Yes please, and thanks for bringing that up Dominique.

Specifically and at the very least, Packman is linking about 25
packages from m:libs and m:apps.

Actually, several packages have
- either been moved from Packman to there, to make them
available for other packages on build.o.o, especially when
they don't have any patent crippling stuff in them or, when
they do, build them without e.g. libmad but include the
conditionals to build them with e.g. libmad support when
linked in Packman
- been created there without contacting any of us at Packman at
all, and we had to play catch-up by replacing our packages
with links to multimedia:*

The latter is significantly annoying, because it causes issues
for users and duplication of work.

So please, pretty please, check first whether the package exists
in Packman (either search in our OBS at
https://pmbs.links2linux.org, or using our package web interface
at http://packman.links2linux.org) and get in touch with us to
coordinate (mail to packman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or poke us on
#packman on freenode). We might be a bit slow to respond,
because we are way too few people to handle so many packages
(help is more than welcome), but we're doing our best.

We don't mind moving packages to build.o.o when they are handled
with great care (e.g. please stop renaming packages there like
crazy, especially without the Provides and Obsoletes to handle
released distributions in the field gracefully, has happened way
too often) and we would very much welcome more packagers to get
an account in our OBS instance to check whether their changes
break stuff in Packman. And, even better, fix it in that case.

Needless to remind everyone how important the Packman repository
is for a very large percentage of the people who use openSUSE on
their desktops.

PS: I'm not whining, I'm not angry, but some very poor packaging
in the multimedia:* repos has created an insane amount of work
and issues for the very small team at Packman as well as for our
users -- either the multimedia repository is handled with great
care, or we will have no choice but to un-link everything and
start duplicating work again, which is neither good for
packagers nor for users

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser